Phone: (941) 575-5440 ext. 2066
Degrees and Certifications:
I am extremely proud to be a part of Sallie Jones Elementary, and I'm looking forward to my fourth year being part of such an awesome family! I believe in teaching the whole child; communicating with families; and creating a classroom that’s inviting, instructive, challenging and encouraging. I believe it takes cooperation to shape a child, so I am looking forward to a fantastic year working with my fifth grade students, their families, and the staff.
Before coming to Sallie Jones Elementary, I taught fifth grade for twelve years, fourth grade for three years, and third grade for one year in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I am originally from Racine, Wisconsin, which makes me a big Green Bay Packers fan! I moved to Grand Rapids to attend Calvin College. After college I taught English in Tokyo for a year. When I returned to the States I taught high school and middle school for a few years. I then went back to school for my elementary teaching degree. I completed my master's degree in curriculum and instruction at Cornerstone University in December 2010.
I hate cold and snow, so I am delighted to live in a community that does not have ridiculously cold weather and heaps of snow for more than half the year (goodbye winter driving!). It is a big change, but one that I have wanted to make for decades. I LOVE reading and I enjoy exercising (most days). I used to be on a bowling league (but please don’t ask about my average. Do Southerners really laugh at this activity?!), and my golf game improves little by little each summer (okay, maybe not). I also enjoy spending time with my husband, Dirk, and goofing around with our dog, Jersey. I hope to learn how to fish, snorkel, and maybe even scuba dive in the future! I cannot wait to dive into Florida activities!
Here are some random facts about me:
· I have learned to appreciate air conditioning - if it's not set at a Michigan-winter temperature.
· If I could eat an entire lobster every day, I would.
· I eat way too much cheese.
· I wish I could sing and cook, but not necessarily at the same time.
· I confess to liking 80’s music and disco.
· I hate driving in the snow...but that has come to an end!
· I love, love, love spring and summer in Michigan. I love, love, love fall and winter in Florida!!!
· I don’t go to theaters to watch movies because I can’t sit still that long without doing something.