Home education is a parent-directed education. Homeschool parents can choose an individualized curriculum that reflects their own beliefs and ideas as they see fit to their child’s learning style. Parents are the teachers in home education. Home education might not necessarily reflect the same grade levels in place at formal school settings. Parents monitor attendance and progress and obtain and direct all curriculum and activities. Curriculum, materials, and activities are all organized and paid for by the homeschool parent. The parent is solely responsible for the instruction progress and record keeping. These can come from a variety of places including faith-based resources and curricula.
Parents who provide instruction to their children at home are advised to carefully read and comply with all of the state statutes and regulations governing the operations of a Home Education Program. Please refer to the following websites in order to make an informed decision.
Home Education Parent Responsibilities
- Complete and return the NOTICE OF INTENT, which can be found on our website, to the home education office. At such time, your child will be withdrawn from Charlotte County Public Schools and enrolled in home education.
- Within 30 days of establishing your program, finalize your curriculum provider and actively direct your student's education.
- Maintain your parent-created portfolio.
- Provide an annual educational evaluation for the student’s educational process to the home education office.
- Preserve each student’s portfolio for two years.
- Submit a letter of termination and annual evaluation upon completion of the home education program or change of residence.
Phone: (941) 255-7507
Fax: (941) 255-7511
C.C.P.S. - Home Education Office
18150 Murdock Circle
Port Charlotte, FL 33948