Follow these suggestions for choosing a book you won't want to return before finishing.
1. Check the cover. Does it capture your attention? Does it look interesting?
2. Read the summary on the inside cover or back of the book.
3. Ask Miss Nease or Mrs. McGill for some suggestions. Let them know what you are interested in and they can suggest some good fiction or nonfiction books.
4. Look at what your friends are reading. Ask them for suggestions.
5. Think of who your favorite author is. Look to see if there are any other books by that author.
6. What is your favorite hobby or activity? Look for books on these subjects.
7. Read a different version of your favorite fairy tale.
8. Look at some book lists for suggestions. Booklinks
Make sure you do the five finger test on the book you choose. No one enjoys a book that is too hard for them to read.
Open the book towards the center.
Read the page.
Put one finger up for each word you do not know or have a hard time reading.
If you get five fingers up before you get to the end of the page the book is too hard. Also, if you read the page but didn't understand what you read it is too hard. Choose something else and come back to this book in a few months to try again.