Welcome to Chemistry Honors
If you are currently enrolled in Chemistry Honors, please visit www.k12.instructure.com for everything related to the class.
What is Chemistry Honors?
- Chemistry is the study of matter and its interactions. The purpose of this course is to study the composition, properties, interactions, and changes associated with matter. Chemistry I Honors is a course suitable for students who display a high level of competency in the sciences and possess a strong desire to continue their education beyond high school.
- The class will be administered using Canvas.
- Canvas is a learning management system that is new to the district this year. It is somewhat similar to Google Classroom with many more features that are available for student use.
- For most if not all students, this is their first exposure to such a system, but it is important to experience since many students will be using Canvas at the college level.
- All assignments will be submitted using Canvas.
- Grades will be posted using Focus. Even though Canvas does track grades, Focus is still the official grading program for Charlotte County Public Schools. So, the grade in Focus is it – the grade in Canvas tracks assignments, but again, may not be reflective of all course content.
- All assignments will be submitted using the Canvas LMS system (icon found in Classlink).
- Students should visit Canvas regularly for lecture notes, homework handouts, laboratories, supplemental class materials, as well as the class calendar.
- Students are responsible for notes, handouts, labs, and other materials posted on Canvas.
- Be prepared for class! Bring all required materials to class each day.
- No food or drink in the classroom (bottled water is allowed).
- Lateness to class without a pass is not acceptable. In order to be considered on time for class, you must be inside the classroom BEFORE the late bell rings – NO EXCEPTIONS!
- Display a high level of responsibility. As part of an advanced science class, you are expected to display responsibility when it comes to your work, any missing work (tests, quizzes, homework etc.) and actions in the classroom. The instructor will not be responsible for missing or unfinished assignments and will not ‘chase’ students for such. It is up to the students to be responsible. Consult the calendar on Canvas to stay informed about what is happening in class!
- School issued Chromebook
- Scanner app for cell phone (for electronic submission of hand-written work)
- Mask/face covering (Covering mouth and nose at all times)
- Safety googles and aprons (on lab days) - to be provided by instructor
- Writing utensils (pen, pencils, highlighters, etc.)
- Binder or folder – to store in-class practice work, printed materials, periodic table, etc.
- Loose-leaf paper (if you choose a binder) or notebook (bound or composition) for notes, homework, etc.
- Scientific calculator
- Copy paper (for use at home to print materials as needed)
- Earbuds or headphones for use with Chromebook