All periods follow the calendar below.
Parents and students, join my Remind group for reminders on quizzes and tests. Simply text text @86kdd to 81010
Supplies needed for Honors Biology
*3 prong pocket folder specifically for biology
*Notebook Paper (college or standard rule)
*Writing utensils (pen, pencil, highlighter)
Face coverings & ID’s must be worn at all times!
- Be respectful of yourself, others and property.
- Be prompt.
- Be responsible (report writing on desk).
- Be present.
- Keep cell phone in bin or put away (not visible).
- Be a leader, be a learner, be a Tarpon.
- Enter quietly.
- Get your assigned book from shelves if needed.
- Take a picture of Promethean board &/or write information in planner.
- Go directly to your assigned seat.
- Log into assigned Chromebook.
- Put cell phone in bin in the center of the table or away in backpack.
- Place all items in the cubby except textbook, biology folder with paper, and writing utensil.
- At the end of class, return your book to the shelf & place in numerical order, check your area, and throw away papers/trash. Log out of Chromebook.
- Roll chair under table & check for writing on table. (except 7th period, put chair on table.)
- Use restroom and get water between classes.
- Refrain from talking when the teacher is speaking, teaching, reading, or when other students are reading or presenting.
- Place cell phone in bin on table or away (not visible).
- Anytime a student misses class due to a school function, he/she is expected to be prepared for the next class session. Look on classroom.google for assignments.Homework and class work should be secured before the date of absence.
- If excused absence due to illness, check classroom.google for assignments. Two days for each day of absence shall be given to complete all make up work. Complete “Assignments to Check” clipboard in classroom.
- All policies set for by Charlotte High School, as well as those discussed in the Student Code of Conduct handbook, will be the main guidelines for class procedures.
- Verbal praise.
- Tarpon Ticket.
- Recognition of the internal gratification earned by doing “what’s right.”
(941) 575-5450, ext. 1726
Remind App: text @@86kdd to 81010
Course Number: 2000320
Number of Credits: 1
Course Length: 1 year
Biology I Honors provides opportunities for advanced exploratory experiences and activities in the fundamental concepts of life. Topics include, but are not limited to, cell biology, genetics, classification, animals, plants, and ecological relationships. Lectures, notes, computer programs, homework, and labs are the most common approaches to the material.
Course Objectives and Outline
The course will be divided into three basic categories:
Unit 1: Biochemistry, Cells & Genetics: Chapters 1, 2, 8-16: Students will study: Organization and development of living organisms, heredity and reproduction, matter and energy transformations
Unit 2: Biodiversity & Evolution: Chapters 17-27: Students will study: Diversity and evolution of living organisms, classification, body systems
Unit 3: Ecology: Chapters 3-7: Students will study: Earth systems and patterns, energy, diversity of living organisms, interdependence
Text and Ancillary Materials
Biology Pearson by Miller & Levine (ISBN-13:978-0-328-94901-4)
On-Line: Log into Classlink Launchpad from chs.yourcharlotteschools.net Click Pearson Realize
Face Coverings and ID’s must be worn at all times.
Tests 100 points each A=90-100
Quizzes 1 point each word B=80-89
Class Work 5 points each C=70-79
PQ5R 5 points each D=60-69
Labs & Projects 5-25 points each F=59 and below
Google Classroom Assignments 5-10 points each section
Notebook Checks 5-25 points each time
***Grade will be calculated by dividing the total points earned by the total points possible***
Make-up work will be provided for all students; however, no activities or assignments can replace the learning that occurs in the classroom when the student is present. Two (2) days for each day of eligible absences shall be given to complete all class make-up work. NO OTHER LATE ASSIGNMENTS WILL BE ACCEPTED! In case of unexcused absence, 30% will be deducted from the earned grade. Exams, tests, or quizzes will be rescheduled at the discretion of the teacher, and must be completed in the classroom within 5 days of the student’s return to school. If student is absent due to a school activity, work is due the day they return. This includes test & quiz make-ups. Most assignments are on Google Classroom so it is your responsibility to check the site daily, especially if you are absent. Be sure to sign the “Assignments to Check” clipboard in the classroom when assignments are completed late due to illness.
This is a self-directed class with several individual assignments. During the course, students will read, create PQ5R’s (extracting information from text) and projects, complete Google Classroom assignments, and participate in labs while working individually as well as in groups. Students are expected to study at home daily for quizzes and tests, which must be taken in my classroom, and to complete all assignments on time. Students are also expected to participate in class, keep track of their progress on FOCUS, and view their Google Classroom account daily for assignments and announcements.
General Course of Study
Semester 1 Semester 2
Chapter Standard Chapter Standard
The Science of Biology
SC.912.N.1.1, 1.3, 1.4, 1.6, 1.7, 2.1, 3.1, 3.4
RNA Protein Synthesis
The Chemistry of Life
SC.912.L.18.1, 18.11, 18.12
Biotechnology & Human Genome
Cell Structure & Function
SC.912.L.14.1, 14.3, 14.4
SC.912.L.15.1, 15.2, 15.3, 15.8, 15.10, 15.12, 15.13, 15.14, 15.15
9 & 10
Photosynthesis & Cellular Respiration
SC.912.L.18.6, 18.7, 18.8, 18.9, 18.10
Classification & History of Life,
SC.912.L.14.5, 15.8, 15.4, 15.5, 15.6, 15.8, 15.10
Ecology & The Biosphere
SC.912. L.17.2, 17.4, 17.5, 17.8, 17.9, 17.13. 17.20
Cell Growth & Division
SC.912.L.16.8, 16.16, 16.17,
Populations & Humans in the Biosphere & Communities
SC.912.L.14.6, 17.10, 17.11, 17.20
Introduction to Genetics
SC.912. L.16.16, 16.9. 16.17, 16.1, 16.2
Body Systems (brain, heart, immune, reproductive)
SC.912.L.14.52, 14.26, 14.36, 16.13
SC.912. L.16.3, 16.4