What types of investing products are available?
You may choose from several types of investment products for your 403(b) or 457(b) retirement savings. The different investment products listed below represent the majority of all account types currently available. The 401(k) plan is limited to mutual fund investment options only. The assistance of a professional representative could help you chart a course for successful investing. Note that each investment product has specific provisions and advantages associated with its use.
Standard Interest Annuity
- This is the simplest form of retirement savings and is similar to a savings account.
Equity Index Annuity
- Combines many of the characteristics of an interest annuity with the opportunity to participate in any positive returns realized in a stock market index.
- Several investment alternatives are combined within these plans. The participant may select one or more investment accounts managed by the carrier or other various investment management companies.
- Offered by investment management companies and brokerage firms. Participants may direct their contributions to various investment portfolios which are managed by the custodian or management company.
Overview of Investment Products
|Product Type||Risk||Minimum Rate of Return||Current Interest or Return on Deposits||Fees||Surrender Charges||Loan Provisions|
|Standard Interest Annuity||Stable||Minimum guarantee on all principal||Credits current rate of interest||Usually no front-end sales charges or fees||Common for early withdrawal||Usually included|
|Equity Index Annuity||Stable to Low Moderate||Minimum rate on portion of principal over specified period of time||Different methods of crediting interest exist based on varying market indices||Usually no front-end charges or fees.||Common for early withdrawals||Usually Included|
|Variable Annuity||Moderate to Aggressive||Subject to performance of investment accounts||Interest bearing with guarantee available as one of the investment choices||May include mortality and expense fees and investment management fees||Common for early withdrawals||Usually Included|
|Mutual Funds||Moderate to Aggressive||Long-range returns subject to account performance||Subject to performance of investment accounts selected||May include sales charges and investment management fees||Some share classes may have contingent deferred sales charges||Sometimes Included|
FRS Workshop Videos
- Using the FRS to Plan for Your Retirement
- Using the FRS to Plan for Your Retirement - Spanish
- Understanding Your Benefits Under the FRS Pension Plan
- Nearing Retirement in the FRS
- Nearing Retirement in the FRS - Spanish
- Cash & Debt Management: Smart Spending
- Estate Planning - Caring for Your Loved Ones
- 2021 Pension Plan Handbook
- 2021 Disability Benefits Handbook
- 2021 DROP Handbook
- 2021 Investment Plan Handbook
- 2021 Survivor Benefits Handbook
For all Authorized Investment Providers and information, visit the following websites:
Retirement Ready. Fact Sheet for Workers Ages 49-60