School Choice/Student ReassignmentSchool Attendance Areas permit parents to enroll their children in a school other than the one to which they have been assigned. The choice must be made each year during the month of February and will become effective at the start of the next school year. Parents or guardians requesting a student reassignment at any time other than in February must complete an application for submittal to the District Hardship Committee.
For more information or for a list of closed schools, please call or email April Prestipino, at Charlotte County Public Schools 941-255-0808.
- During February Enrollment, any child of school age who resides in Charlotte County may apply to attend a school out of his/her assigned district.
- The appropriate reassignment form to be completed for February Enrollment is the Student Reassignment Notification form. Parents may obtain this form from any public school within the district.
- The Student Reassignment Notification form must be submitted to obtain a student reassignment and is accepted only during the month of February. This is the only time that reassignment requests are guaranteed, unless school boundaries are "closed" due to an increase in student enrollment or availability of special programs.
- In addition to the February Enrollment, parents of kindergarten students have the option of open enrollment by completing a Student Reassignment Notification form during Kindergarten Round-up during the month of April.
- If a high school student is reassigned, it must be in accordance with the Florida High School Activity Association (FHSAA) rules.
- For February enrollment only, the high school to which the student is reassigned will distribute FHSAA Blue Waiver Forms to them at a later date. FHSAA regulations shall govern eligibility for athletics of all reassigned high school students.
- Upon recommendation of the principals and the review and approval of the Hardship Committee, a student may be returned to the assigned school in his/her attendance area at the beginning of the next grading period for the following reasons: discipline and/or attendance problems; other changes in circumstances. (School Board Rule 5120)
Enrollment For Months Other Than February
- School Attendance Areas permit parents to enroll their children in a school other than the one to which they have been assigned. The choice must be made each year during the month of February and will become effective at the start of the next school year.
- Parents or guardians requesting a student reassignment at any time other than in February must complete an application for submittal to the District Hardship Committee.
- During any month except February, parents may submit an Application for Student Reassignment if they wish to move their child to a school outside their district.
- Parents who missed the February Enrollment period and wish the same out-of-district school next year may apply.
- Parents new to the county who missed the February Enrollment period and choose an out-of-district school for the next school may apply.
- Parents must always start the reassignment process at the school of residence.
- No child will be reassigned to a school with boundaries which are closed due to an increase in student enrollment.
- Parents may obtain an Application for Student Reassignment from any school - preferably the school your child is currently attending.
- The Application for Student Reassignment must be submitted to the office of the Director of Student Services for review by the Hardship Committee.
- The principal of your child's assigned school must sign the Application for Student Reassignment in the space referred to as Sending Principal.
- After obtaining the Sending Principal's signature, parents must obtain the signature of the principal of the school which is being requested, referred to as Receiving Principal.
- Students will be able to change schools after the Hardship Committee's approval at the start of the next grading period.
Students residing within Charlotte County may, subject to the policies and procedures of the School Board, attend any school within the District under the procedures outlined in the reassignment request form. The School District shall have full and complete authority in the matter of the assignment and placement of students in educational programs.
Athletic participation will be governed by the rules of the Florida High School Athletic Association (FHSAA). Click here to fill out the application for reassignment of athletic participation.
Students residing outside of Charlotte County may, subject to the policies and procedures of the School Board, apply for reassignment under the procedures outlined in the Out-of-County application.