Weekly Wellness Tip
In the past 30 years, the rate of obesity among children has more than doubled. The number one cause of obesity among children is linked to a caloric imbalance: calories consumed far outweigh the number of calories expended. Those reporting on this threatening issue, both private and public, are quick to play the blame game and point the finger elsewhere â€“ i.e., access to technology. To combat this preventable disease, which is leading to more cases of Type 2 Diabetes among children and adolescents than ever before, communities must take a grassroots approach. Education at the elementary level; increased access to physical activity within the community including, but not limited to, sidewalks for walking and biking, parks and open fields for play, and youth sports programs are just a few ideas for a grassroots approach. Along with these community level approaches, individual households must also take responsibility, and action, to battle this preventable disease.
Hover over image to pause slideshow.
Backpacks from Office Depot!
The Office Depot Foundation recently donated 250 backpacks with school supplies to Charlotte County Public Schools. The backpacks have been distributed to our elementary schools, and well received by our students.
Thank You to the Office Depot Foundation for their kind hearted gift for the children of Charlotte County Public Schools.
Click on the following links for an overview of the energy produced by the implementation of solar collecting devices at CCPS schools.
- Charlotte High School's Sunny Tower
- Charlotte High School's Water Heaters and Boilers
- Kingsway Elementary School's Solar and Weather Statistics
- LA Ainger Middle Solar Array
- Lemon Bay Water Heaters
- Liberty Elementary School Solar Arrays
- Meadow Park Canopy at Entrance
- Meadow Park Covered Play Area
- Meadow Park Water Heaters
- Murdock Middle School Solar Arrays
- Myakka River Elementary School Solar Arrays
- Port Charlotte High School Solar Arrays
- Port Charlotte Middle School Solar Arrays
- Punta Gorda Middle Solar Array