Charlotte Virtual serves all Charlotte Students!
What type of student are you?
Please review the different types of students Charlotte Virtual serves below and follow the registration procedure that pertain to you.
- Full-time CVS students (grades K-12)
- Home school CVS students
- Private school part time CVS students
- Public school part time CVS students
Charlotte Virtual School offers a full-time enrollment option for students in grades K-12. CVS serves as Charlotte County's virtual instruction program and satisfies the requirements set forth in Florida Statute 1002.45. Full-time CVS students are registered as public school students, take part in FCAT and other district testing, and have the opportunity to earn a standard Charlotte County diploma. CVS partners with Florida Virtual School for middle and high school curriculum.
In order to be accepted as a full-time student with Charlotte Virtual School, students must meet the following criteria:
Eligibility for Grades 6-12
- Students must have demonstrated academic success in previous semester courses (grades of C or better). Exceptions are made on a case by case basis for students with medical conditions.
- Students must demonstrate a minimum aptitude on at least one of the following standardized tests in the prior school year:
- FCAT (level 2 or higher on the reading section)
- Grade level proficiency on an official standardized test administered by another public school system
- Each family must have a learning coach, a responsible adult, who is available approximately 5 hours per day to monitor student's computer access, engage in student follow up activities, facilitate learning and provide support with homework assignments.
- Students must reside in Charlotte County
- Applications for full-time enrollment for Semester 1 ends August 17, 2012. Enrollment for Semester 2 begins November 26, 2012.**Students interested in part-time enrollment can contact Tara Whisenant at 941-255-7545, ext 213.
If enrolling from out of county, please complete Records Request Form.
Eligibility for Grades K-5
- Students entering grades 4 or 5 must have scored level 2 or higher on the FCAT reading section in the prior school year.
- Students entering grades 1-3 must have scored grade at level performance on a district approved reading assessment.
- Students must reside in Charlotte County.
- Parents must apply for enrollment on the K12 Florida website by July 8, 2012. Note, middle and high school applicants should not complete this application.
In addition to our full-time program, Charlotte Virtual School offers middle and high school courses to home school students. Home school students have two options at Charlotte Virtual School. Students may:
- Retain home school status and utilize free online courses for their curriculum or
- Apply for enrollment in our full-time, diploma granting program (subject to entrance criteria above).
It is important to know that Charlotte Virtual offers high school diplomas to students registered in our full-time program only.
Charlotte Virtual School is not responsible for promoting home school students to the next grade level. Home School students are required to turn in their yearly evaluation by a certified teacher to the Home School Department. In order to be accepted as ahome school student with Charlotte Virtual School you must register with the Charlotte County Home Education Department.
Registration for home school students is ongoing.
Private school part-time students are enrolled in a private Charlotte County middle or high school full-time and take supplemental courses online with Charlotte Virtual. In order to be accepted as a part-time, private school student with Charlotte Virtual School you must reside in Charlotte County and attend a Charlotte County private school.
Parent and student must inform the school guidance counselor of completed registration. The school guidance counselor will verify the information online, ensure that the course requested is appropriate for the student, and electronically approve requested courses.
All students must have daily access to a computer with dependable high speed internet access and a printer.
Activation for private school part-time students will begin in August 2012.
Please contact Tara Whisenant at (941)255-7507.
Public school part-time students are enrolled in a traditional Charlotte County middle or high school full-time and may take supplemental courses online with charlotte Virtual. Part-time students take courses online for graduation acceleration, credit recovery, grade forgiveness, or to earn high school credit while in middle school. In order to be accepted as a part-time, public school student with Charlotte Virtual School you must currently attend a Charlotte County public school. Students in 4th and 5th grades who are eligible for middle school course acceleration may also enroll part-time with their school's approval.
Parent and student must inform the school guidance counselor of completed registration. School guidance counselor will verify information online, ensure that the course requested is appropriate for the student, and electronically approve requested courses.
Activation for public school part-time students will begin in August 2012 pending guidance counselor approval.